Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Friday, February 3, 2012

Project #1--UFO turns 30 yrs old in 2012



King Size Sampler started in 1982--This afternoon, I got it out of the Quilt Cabinet to figure out how to begin.  First, I decided it was best to look for a picture and post the picture along with the quilt's story.  When a UFO is about to turn 30 years old, this year, there must be a story to go along with it.

In 1982, I began taking Beginner Quilt classes through the Continuing Education Program at our local university.  My quilt teacher was extremely patient.  I took numerous classes from her, craving the fellowship of other quilters.  By the 3rd class, I realized I needed a king-size quilt for our bed.  My teacher tried to deter me from tackling such a large project, but as a beginner, the size what not an issue.  Anyway, the blocks were only 14" square and I decided I needed 25 blocks, with sashes and 2 large borders, I had a king size quilt.

Thankfully, I commemorated the Quilt Pinning event with a small signature wall-hanging and dated that wall-hanging May 1985.  For two years, I hand quilted on my quilt and then in April 1987, I took a 7-month break from working outside the home and helped my husband build a workshop and in the evenings, I hand quilted.  By the time, I went back to work in Oct. 1987, I had all the blocks quilted and one of the sashes.

Since it is a Sampler, I plan to machine quilt with the walking foot, the remaining unfinished sashes and borders.  I bet I will need a week to sew on the binding, which will be exhilarating, since I'll be coming down the home stretch.     

No comments:

Post a Comment