Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Monday, June 17, 2013

Design Wall Monday

Soldier's Child Birthday Foundation blocks
Last Tuesday, I began working on "A Soldier's Child Birthday Foundation" quilt.  I had a bag of Patriotic strips and a new package of "Sheer Delite", which I was anxious to try.  Our guild recently had Bobbie and Ginger from Strips and Strings come to our guild for a trunk show.  The stabilizer came in a roll measuring 30" x 10 yds.  Sheer Delite is a soft, sheer, translucent mesh stabilizer.  To make good use of the width, I cut my squares 7 1/2 inches wide and then trimmed them down to 7 inches square.

I found the pattern under Mary Quilts.com
Click on Quick Strippie.  Scroll down the column on the left side to Instruction Sheets and click on New Heart String Stars and you will find the instructions on making these scrappy stars.  The diagonal string squares were quick to sew together.  The half square triangles seemed to take way longer than I had anticipated.  Of course, it didn't help that I was running low on white muslin and the blue QOV fabric with little light blue stars.  I still need to complete 5 more star blocks to finish the top.

Since I was running low on white muslin, I took a trip down to JoAnn's Fabric and purchased a 15 yd. bolt with my 50% off coupon (that just happened to arrive in my email box last evening).  I guess it was just meant to be that I should purchase a entire bolt.       

No comments:

Post a Comment