The batting was pieced on each of these quilts. I tried butting the batting pieces together & free motion quilting the pieces to hold them together. Let me tell you--that was not such a great idea. As you can tell by the lower right side of the picture, there was some stretching involved when I machine quilted it.
Thankfully, I figured out the problem prior to machine quilting the Tumbler Quilt.
Instead of free motion quilting the batting together, I cut a long 3/4" strip of muslin. The two pieces of batting were placed side by side and the muslin was centered on top. Then I sewed down each side of muslin, making the batting into one nice piece with no stretching of the batting. I also sewed a strip of 3/4" muslin down both sides on the back of the batting. Why in the world would I go to all this trouble? I had too many pieces parts of batting, which I wanted to use.
| Front of Quilt 30" x 60" |
| Back of Quilt 30" x 60" |
| Back of Tumbler Quilt |
| Front of Tumbler Quilt |
I always try to steer away from "Challenging" but since I had everything, except the ruler, I'd give it a try.
Here's what I have so far.....
| (4) Star Flower Blocks for QOV |
I also try to steer away from "set-in seams", which I discovered, will be a challenge when joining all of the stars. And, yes, it does make a difference on how you turn the large white diamond, when you sew it onto the stars, which I discovered when I went to press, based on the picture shown below.
| Large Diamond set in seam (LOL) |
For now, I think I will finish making all the star blocks and then see how I feel. I may try to tackle the set-in seams again but at this point, I'm not sure.....
Hop on over to Judy's Blog Patchwork Times.com to see what others have created this week.
I think you showed these at guild on Sat, and they were beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing and taking on the stars!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. I'm hoping to finish the top today, so I can post a picture. It certainly helped to have someone else cut all the pieces. It was challenging but I discovered that if I worked at it a few hours each day, it slowly came together. Will you be coming to guild in March?
DeleteIt was great to talk with you on Saturday at Guild. Our current Officers did a fantastic job of planning our Guild's 20th year celebration. Our members have made our guild what it is today.
Delete