Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Monday, December 14, 2015

Design Wall Monday

Good Morning--I stayed up last night until about 3:00 this morning, waiting and waiting for the storm to pass through our area.  It was very windy yesterday but who could complain, we had sunshine and over 75 degrees on both Saturday and Sunday.  All the leaves that had been placed in the street for pick-up have now flown back into everyone's yard.
However, yesterday morning, I discovered this beautiful sky.....it wasn't there long.

Sunday Morning Sky

This morning, I can finally reveal a couple of projects that I had been working in late November and up until last Friday afternoon.

Gift for a special little boy
The hand prints are from this special little boy's classmates and teachers.  Several of the teachers had designed the layout of the quilt top and had all of the hand prints on the white fabric panels.  All I had to do was sew the panels together and machine quilt it.  I was surprised that I was able to stitch through the paint in a few places where the paint overlapped the seam allowances.  I hope you noticed how the hand prints in the center created hearts.

 Next up...
Gift for Guild member
In early November, it was brought to my attention that one of our Guild members was turning 90 years young in December.  Several years ago, one of our Guild members turned 90 and she was given a Signature quilt.  Each member made a block from her favorite color (purple) and signed the block.

Well, how many guilds have members who are turning 90 and can still attend the monthly meetings.  I was just going to have everyone sign a 5" square of white muslin.  But, when I took the blocks to my weekly Sewing Group, Denni suggested sewing 2 squares on the diagonal to opposite corners and then when the squares were sewn together, it created a scrappy little 4-patch.

My Design Wall Monday dated Nov. 16th, 2015, showed piles of leftover scraps of HST that were cut from the original 2" squares which created the little 4-patch blocks between the signatures.  I used these leftover scraps to create the pinwheel blocks in the borders.  The border and the pinwheels finished at 2".

Needless to say, our guild member, Edith and her daughter, Pam were quite surprised as were most of our guild members.  I had passed the blocks around at the November meeting, which just happened to be my birthday, so I gave everyone the impression that they were signing the blocks for me, since I love Signature Quilts.  I had to do it that way because Edith was at the Nov. meeting and she signed one of the blocks for her own quilt, which I placed near the top of the cake.

I have two more surprises to complete before the reveal for those quilts.  Before I fall asleep at the computer, I'm linking up with Judy at:    Patchwork Times.com 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting these! These are so sweet, and YOU are so clever to get the signatures without anyone being the wiser. lol

    ReplyDelete