Nancie's TN Quilts
Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit
Design Wall Monday
Last week, Darlene Zimmerman (aka "The Feedsack Lady") came to middle Tennessee to teach two different classes to several guilds in our area. I chose to take "Amalie's Log Cabin" class. Can you believe it? After all these years, I had never made a log cabin quilt. Darlene suggested cutting all the strips to the exact size. This did help keep the blocks from growing off center. Plus, I didn't have to trim after sewing each strip. Darlene designed (5) different patterns. With each pattern, Darlene included "Amalie's Story", which told of her great-great grand aunt. Letters were also included with the pattern, but the letters were fictional based on known historical facts. The other patterns are: Thimble quilt, Hourglass quilt, Crosses and Losses quilt and Many Blessings quilt. All can be found on her website; Feedsack Lady.com
One of our guild members brought her hand crank Singer and she created her blocks at an amazing rate and they looked wonderful.
I decided to make a table topper with my accumulated stash of Civil War fabric. It still needs a couple of borders before I quilt it.
Now, that I have learned the best way to sew these blocks, I hope to make another table topper in honor of my Great Grandfather, who was in the Civil War. He enlisted Sept. 14, 1861. Our family saved his Civil War Diary, which he wrote from Nov. 15, 1864 to May 4, 1865. He was in the 9th Iowa V.V.I.
 |
| Civil War Table Topper |
Link up to Judy's Blog to see what other quilters have accomplished...
No comments:
Post a Comment