I would like to include items from the past. The first item was found on Laguna Beach in California. My Great Grandfather, Judson Sanders included a note, stating: "Picked up by J. Sanders on the Laguna beach in 1873". Rolled up inside the bottle was a note.
First, I found a little history on the web, about the company that made the bottle.
History
The company was founded by Dr Thomas Cantrell who opened a shop in Belfast selling soft drinks in 1852; he went into partnership with Alderman Henry Cochrane, thereafter trading as Cantrell & Cochrane Limited.
| Old Bottle from 1870's |
AERATED
WATERS
CANTRELL & COCHRANE
BELFAST & DUBLIN
The next picture is of the note rolled up in the bottle. As best as I can interpret the writing, it says:
Montenn
Just been to Breakfast
All well
J.G. Devercaft
May 11, 1870
| Note rolled up in bottle |
| Smaller note in bottle-cannot be unrolled without damage |
If anyone can read the writing on the note shown above, please let me know what it might say.
No comments:
Post a Comment