Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Our Sewing Group has been busy on Tuesdays

Over the last few weeks, our Sewing Group has been busy designing Adult Bibs for a local nursing home.  We brought clean used towels in to be cut and shaped into bibs.  We sewed binding around the neck, with an elastic loop sewn to one shoulder and a button sewn on the other shoulder side.  Next, came the creative part.  Each front bib was designed with appliques and some were quite elaborate.
For as many as we designed, I cannot find one picture that I took of any of them.

Yesterday, we began making Fidget Mats for the same nursing home.  We purchased large place mats and added all sorts of fabrics with different textures and colors and do-dads.  We plan to make at least 25-30 mats over the next several weeks.  This project really gets us to thinking creatively.  We do need to make sure that none of the items can be removed by the patients, so everything is being securely sewn down.  I did take a picture of the two mats that I have made.

Used several pieces of ultra suede and plaid shirt pieces

2nd Fidget Mat created

In the second Fidget Mat,  (middle of 1st row) I added a little book with a tiny tie on the outside
and several pages with text fabric and pictures.  The little cow in the lower right hand corner still needs to be sewn to the mat a little more securely.  This is a great way to use selvages.

On the back of each completed mat, we will be sewing a lightweight fleece, in hopes that the mats will stay on the patients' laps.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment