Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Monday, March 24, 2014

Design Wall Monday


 Last week, I went out to the country to a delightful farm with chickens and goats.  There were 60 baby chicks that had recently arrived via the US Postal Service and they were staying warm in their little coop in the barn.   The (10) baby goats were the ones we enjoyed seeing.  They were difficult to photograph since they were jumping and playing for us.  I did have the privilege to hold a 10 day old goat. 

While we were there, we worked towards getting RJ's sewing studio organized.  As one of our group's leaders, she receives many boxes of donated fabric for use in the Project Linus blankets that our group makes.

I agreed to take one box of floral fabrics home to be cut into 2 1/2" strips.  First, I washed all the fabrics and then prepared the pieces to be rolled through my AccuQuilt die cutter.  I'm really curious how many strips I have cut so far, but I still have about 10 more fabrics to cut before I count them.
  
Since these are all scrappy, the plan is to use half dark and half light fabrics in each quilt.  Some people may choose to include a 2 1/2" block between each strip.

Our sewing group plans to have a 1,600 Jelly Roll Quilt Day, using all these strips.

The boxes of squares shown in this picture are part of "my progress of organizing my sewing room".  My organization progress has been slow.

My DH spotted (5) 14" x 14.25" x 3" Project Boxes at Costco today.  They are bright multicolored and they were only $20.00.  After we arrived home, he said I should have bought more.  They probably won't be there for long at that price.

I have linked into Judy's Blog at Patchworktimes.com

2 comments:

  1. I've just been using 2 1/2" squares to make 16 patches. Delving into my 2 1/2" strips was quite frustrating because I don't have many lights/medium lights. Trying to get all the strips back in the boxes made me think I hadn't used any! Your storage boxes look very useful.
    Do you die cut the squares?
    Your jelly roll quilts should look great. I recently saw the idea of putting in a square - when I made one I joined my strips at 45° and I think putting in a square would be easier and just as effective.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You asked if I had die cut the 2 1/2" squares. So far, I have just been cutting the squares from odds & ends of left over fabrics. Next Tuesday, I'm going be one of the Project Leaders, answering any questions the ladies may have as they sew the strips together to create the quilt tops. I hope to sew a quilt top together before Tuesday for an example, using the scrappy squares between each strip.
      I agree with you that adding the squares will be easier than adding strips at a 45 degree.

      Delete