Nancie's TN Quilts

Welcome - Hope you enjoy your visit


Monday, June 2, 2014

Design Wall Monday

As I was looking through one of my older magazines, "American Quilter" November 2009, pg.80-82, I came across a pattern for a Dimensional Scrap Quilt by Nancy Zieman.  Her quilt was called Treasure Chest and measured 71 1/2" x 93".  Since I have a couple of  treasure chests of scraps, I thought her pattern would be perfect for using up my scraps.  I liked her idea of choosing an inspirational fabric and then using that fabric to select scraps that blended, matched and coordinated. 
                             My Focus Fabric for Dimensional Scrap Quilt

Dimensional Scrap Quilt measures 42" x 63 1/2"

The dimension arrives by adding accents inserted into the strips (folded squares and rectangles.)  The quilt is rather wild with all the different colors but it should make a fun quilt for a teenage girl.  Our sewing group continues to work on "I Spy" quilts, so many of the fabrics were from the "I Spy" fabrics which we have been using, along with my stash.  The borders at the top and bottom have two (1 1/4"strips) of the "Nite Owls" by Judy Hansen for Paintbrush Studio and one (3/4" strip) of the focus fabric sew in between to make a finished border of 3" top and bottom.  Obviously, I would have used the gray fabric for the borders but I used all I had for the strips. 

The Question Is?  Did it use up my scraps?  It didn't even make a dent......  

So the search continues for another easy pattern for using lots of scraps. 

Be sure to visit the Blogs of other quilters to see their creations at Patchwork Times.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment